And Then I Stepped in Gum . . .

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

They're Trying to Kill Me

I'm visiting my parents with the kids in Chicago for a few days, and it goes without saying that a one-hour time change + the excitement of seeing Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle John + various levels of snottiness/coughing + sleeping in different beds = very interrupted sleep patterns. I keep bragging about how, after the hell of not-sleeping endured during the first two years with each child, they finally have a regular bedtime, sleep through the night, and get up not earlier than 7 a.m. HA! They are out to prove me wrong.

The first night, they went to bed at about 10:00, and they were up at 5:30. The next, they went to bed at an almost-normal time (8:30), and Ian was up coughing at 4:50, and never went back to sleep. (Of course, I'd stayed up until 12:30 with my brother -- silly me.) Last night, Ian woke up at 3:30 and he and Katie (they're in the same room) spent the next hour alternately yelling at each other and coughing and making me get back out of bed to get them to GO BACK TO SLEEP!!!

This experience has led me to develop a new mantra: If you want to ingratiate yourself with me enough so that I'll, I don't know, continue to feed you, do not stand outside my bedroom door at 3:56 a.m. and whine, "Mommy, I'm bored!"

They. Are. Trying. To. Kill. Me.