And Then I Stepped in Gum . . .

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Come, They Told Me . . .

I have to say, I've really enjoyed our local radio station's all-Christmas music, all the time format for the last month. But I think I'm ready for it to wind down. Good timing on my part, huh?

Anyway, the point of this post is that I've been listening to Christmas music for umpteen years, and I've always gotten a kick out of the choral version of The Little Drummer Boy that's usually played (when they're not playing David Bowie's version, which oddly enough, I haven't heard this year) because it's the same arrangement that we used to sing when we went Christmas caroling in San Francisco with the University of California choirs, and it brings back warm and fuzzy memories of the greatest time of my life.

So how is it that it took me all this time to hear that the little bell they ring at the end of each line is waaaayyy flat? And now I can't stop it from bugging me.

Oh well, only 2 more days to go. And I'm with Kira on the Jesus-Christmas-shoes song. Please make it STOP! Even more than your run-of-the-mill tearjerker songs, I hate tearjerker songs that are designed to be tearjerker songs, as if the songwriter sat down at his or her piano with the intention of being as maudlin as possible. I hate, hate, hate them -- and I hate them even more when they are emotionally manipulative enough to work on me. (This goes for the dance-with-my-father-again song, too.)

I am such a sap.