And Then I Stepped in Gum . . .

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Screaming at My Radio

This is normally not a political blog. But sometimes . . .

I had to drive Katie in to school this morning (a rare occurrence, as it's usually Dave's job) because I'd left some things there when we had our Daisy meeting yesterday afternoon. So on the way back I got to listen to NPR's Morning Edition (on the way there, I got to listen to the first half chapter of Meet Kaya, Katie's new obsession). That's another rare occurrence. And this story had me screaming at the radio (this, unfortunately, is not such a rare occurrence).

Seems there's a verbal and legal tussle over who gets how much space along Pennsylvania Avenue during the inaugural parade next week. The ANSWER (Act Now to Stop War and End Racism) Coalition is charging that the Presidential Inaugural Committee has a disproportionate amount of prime parade route real estate, and claims that many security restrictions are actually being implemented to prevent protestors. This is not what had me screaming.

What had me screaming was a response from Preston Taylor of the D.C. chapter of a conservative group called Free Republic, who said, "ANSWER and some of the other groups like Code Pink have allied themselves with terrorists and with Saddam Hussein."

AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No. They have not. You idiot.

Protesting the Inauguration, racism, and a war he or she doesn't believe in does not make a person allied with terrorists and Saddam Hussein. Are you kidding me? You actually believe that? So much so that you said it on national radio?? Such protests make someone an American practicing one's First Amendment rights. Just saying someone is a terrorist doesn't make it so. How many times do we have to tell you people this?

Unbelievable. I think I'll go watch Blue's Clues with Ian until I calm down.

2 comment(s):

i did hear that story, but apparently i wasn't listening...

check your site stats for all a daily hit from fbi.gov now!

:)

By Blogger dr. dave, at 9:30 AM  

Hi, Jennifer.

I found your blog via CE-L, and I've been enjoying reading it. Your bio made me smile because I'm seeing some parallels: I have two young kids and will soon be a work-at-home, freelance editing mom. If you have time to throw any advice my way, I'd be most receptive!

Best,

Suzanne

p.s. I didn't hear that report, but I'd have been screaming at the radio, too. So much for gracefully acknowledging dissenting opinions...

By Blogger Suzanne, at 3:08 PM  

location.href=https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=6748772&postID=110562597779369083;> Post a comment

<< Home