And Then I Stepped in Gum . . .

Monday, July 05, 2004

We Have Arrived

Posting from Mobile, Alabama, after 6 days in the car, 5 nights in beds that aren't ours, and 1,462.4 miles. We are staying in a beautiful suite motel for 2 more nights until our furniture arrives on Wednesday. (Unlike my parents, we are wimps, so we won't have the adventure of sleeping in sleeping bags in the middle of our empty bedrooms while we wait for the moving van -- an experience that was fun when I was a kid, but a more daunting prospect when you're the parent of a 5-year-old and a 1-year-old.)

We did our walkthrough of the new house today, and it really is beautiful and the prospects are so exciting. Of course, we'd built everything up in our minds to be about 30% bigger than it actually is, but we'll adjust to that. I really can't wait until we get it all set up the way we want it.

The closing of the old house went off well, despite last-minute shenanigans by our weasel of a lawyer. We were saved by the grace and selflessness of a good friend, who volunteered to be our proxy, since we had to get on the road and couldn't be at the actual closing. The checks even got down to AL in time, and we are sitting on a substantial sum, which is kind of neat and kind of shocking all at the same time. Closing on the new house is tomorrow morning bright and early. Dave's already asleep, and I should probably follow, though I know I'll spend a while thinking of a list of all the things we need to get started on to get ourselves settled.

Sorry I don't have anything particularly witty, but I wanted to post since I know some people are checking in to see if we survived the trip. Before I go to bed, I'll post new pictures at DotPhoto, username JennDM, leave the password blank. I'll try to get back and post more soon, although we won't have the cable modem set up until Thursday (gasp!).

1 comment(s):

Yay! You made it. Well done. Congrats on the new house. I love your touches, and of course it's such a nice layout! ;) Wishing you lots of happiness!

By Blogger Moi, at 9:51 AM  

location.href=https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=6748772&postID=108908210798989365;> Post a comment

<< Home