And Then I Stepped in Gum . . .

Sunday, March 06, 2005

The Invites Are Done

It took almost all afternoon, but the invitations for Katie's birthday party are done, cobbled together from screenshots of the Flash games on MyLittlePony.com, clip art, and Word. Kate desperately wanted a My Little Pony party, but she wanted to invite her whole class -- seven girls and four boys. And the sanctioned invites say, "Hey, Pony Girl!" on them. Talk about exclusionary. I mean, it's hard enough to plan this party without making the favors and the games too girly. So I made our own.

Speaking of which, Dave and I were wondering why they don't make boy My Little Ponies. Surely Ian's not the only little brother who would like to join in the pony games. (We have bought him his own ponies here and there, but it'd be nice to have some more "masculine" ones. Maybe one with a dinosaur or an insect as a "cutie mark.")

Hasbro's also missing a bet in the franchised cake decorations area. I mean, Bob the Builder and Strawberry Shortcake have their own cake pans and icing decorations. The current plan is to use Wilton's castle cake pan and decorated it as the MLP Celebration Castle. Katie's assured me that she will "help" by instructing me on coloring. Boy, that's a tantrum waiting to happen, I know. I was hoping that we'd find some MLP icing decorations so we could make ponies' heads stick out of the castle windows, but no such luck. Ah well, I'm sure it will be close enough.

I know I tend to go overboard at these parties, but see my entry on planning Thinking Day for my Daisy Girl Scouts. I just can't stop. I have managed to talk myself out of making homemade stick horses out of scrap fabric, yarn, and PVC pipe for each guest, so there's one point for simplification.

Now we're headed out to an arts and crafts show. Cross your fingers that I won't get "inspired" to do some other cockamamie craft project. I have enough on my plate as it is!