And Then I Stepped in Gum . . .

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Resurrection and Renaissance

Hey! Look! Two posts from me in two days! I'd like to keep up the momentum. It helps that one of my best friends was inspired to call me after my last post. It's nice to know that someone still wants to read what I write.

I've been spending a lot of time pondering the intent of this blog. My blog reading has shifted quite a bit recently, lining up with my favorite obsession -- knitting. The deeper I get into that, the more I want to contribute to the world of knitting blogs out there. What a great way to keep track of my progress and growth as a knitter, and to share with others the artistic work I am most proud of these days. Not to mention, it's a good way to hold myself accountable about the number of projects I'm working on at one time.

Yet I still like to write about my kids and funny anecdotes from my life. I can keep in touch with my friends and family this way, as well as document things from Ian and Katie's childhood. I don't think I'm prolific enough to support two blogs, so I'm afraid I'm going to integrate both types of content and hope that whoever finds/reads this blog enjoys whatever I have to say. We'll just have to see how it goes.

So keeping in mind the goal of adding a bit more knitting content to the blog, I'll add a few pictures of recent FOs (finished objects -- unfinished objects are UFOs, you know):

Sarah's socks -- yarn: Cherry Tree Hill (can't remember the colorway), needles: size 1 (eeks, size 1 needles take a long time), pattern: from Sensational Knitted Socks, my sock bible. My sister-in-law's favorite color is maroon, and my mom and I hunted all over the New York Sheep and Wool Festival to find maroon yarn. This is as close as we got. I like how they turned out, but was surprised that the two socks came out with different stripe widths and slightly different color balances (all the yarn came from one skein).






Dad's socks -- yarn: wool, can't remember the name right now, but came from Jo-Ann, pattern: boring, normal sock pattern -- Dad's request -- but I added a little bit of self-designed monogram (D squared) to them. He likes them, even though it took forever for me to get them to him.











Jason's sweater -- I have a new(ish) baby nephew (3 weeks old now), and I was so excited to knit this sweater for him from Oh My! yarn. It's incredibly soft and gorgeous, as well as machine washable. And I was really pleased with how it turned out. Baby sweaters are the most fun to knit -- lots of different things to keep your interest, and they're finished quickly!




Katie's sweater -- yarn: Plymouth Fantasy (100% mercerized cotton), pink -- her choice, pattern: Very Berry T-shirt from MagKnits.com. A nice spring/summer knit, and she loves it. I think it will be easy to adapt the pattern to a size for an American Girl doll, and I may try to do that with the leftover yarn. I wish I could have found a little bit lighter weight yarn at my LYS, but they really didn't have anything else that would have worked.

There. Hope that wasn't too boring. Stay tuned for more current work, and I'll try to throw in interesting thoughts here and there too.

5 comment(s):

Welcome to the world of Knit Blogging! I hope your family and friends can understand the obsession. :D

Those socks are very pretty! And it is strange that the socks came out with different stripes. Usually, within one skein, it doesn't do crazy stuff like that. Maybe you knit one tighter than the other.

All those FOs look great!

And I found your blog on a blogger search about socks, so I'm not some crazy person flicking through blogs. :D

By Blogger Lacey, at 6:11 PM  

WOW! You're really banging them out! A lot of my friends have started knitting over the last few months. Sadly, I'm knitting-challenged.

I love the baby sweater! Makes me want to have another just so I could request one! :-p

Jen (MM99)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:31 AM  

Yey! So nice to read more of your blog. I take full credit. :)

Your FOS are gorgeous - I LOVE the baby sweater!!!

Oh. And ...wow, genetics.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:54 PM  

Your Very-Berry T-shirt is so cute - may I add it to my gallery?

By Blogger Unknown, at 1:05 PM  

Someone told me you were blogging and I had to hunt for your site. I love it! I must say that I hate writting to you. I know you know what I mean. I promise I will try knitting again when I can find someone willing to help me.
Miss you!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 AM  

location.href=https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=6748772&postID=3852064062240057247;> Post a comment

<< Home